Monday, September 3, 2012

September 3, 2012

Blessings:

1. The school room is finally ready! (It’s a good thing, too – school starts at 9am tomorrow!)

2. My kids are learning to be self-sufficient. My 7-year-old cooked his own scrambled eggs with no help – only supervision.

3.  I love slow cooker meals. I don’t know why I don’t do it more often. Today I put a roast in the cooker with onion soup mix and canned diced tomatoes. By the time I was done getting the classroom ready it smelled fantastic upstairs! The meat was tender and delicious, too!

4. Conversation with 7yo Caleb:
Caleb: What if Monday was called Momday?
Mom: Then everyone would cook the food, do the dishes, and fold the laundry for Mom!
Caleb: Yes. We should make every Monday Momday.
I like the way this kid thinks.

5. My friend Julie and I came up with most of this several years ago. Credit and thanks to Clement C. Moore. (This has been modified from the original to fit our current schooling status.)

'Twas the night before school starts... and all through the house...
The mama was hoping for peace - and no mouse.
Schedules were ready; the books were all stacked...
And now it was time for all to go nap.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of snack time danced in their heads.
When suddenly Mom realized with a start…
“I haven’t gotten the paint for their art!
They don’t have new tennies!
I’ve neglected their hair!
Homeschoolers will judge me…
If we even get there!”

When what to my wondering ears should be heard…
A sweet voice that said, “Do no fret – not a word.
It will all be okay. You’ve prepared, you are done.
Go to sleep; get some rest; tomorrow’s all fun!”

More rapid than eagles, the morning, it came.
And I whistled and shouted, and called them by name –
Up Caleb, up Dale, up Andrew, up Austin;
Up Kristi, up Nathan, up Baby…Up…Ken?
Go eat your breakfast and then down the stairs,
Now go in and learn – and don’t tip the chairs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!