Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 316

Twas the night before school starts.... and all through the house....

Mom was hoping for quiet, as was her spouse.

Lunches were ready; the back packs were packed....

And now it was time for all to go nap.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,

While visions of recess danced in their heads.

When suddenly Mom realized with a start…

“I haven’t gotten the cash for their art!

They don’t have PE shoes!

I’ve neglected their hair!

The teachers will judge me…

If we even get there!”

When what to my wondering ears should be heard…

A sweet voice that said, “Do no fret – not a word.

It will all be okay. You’ve prepared, you are done.

Go to sleep; get some rest; tomorrow’s all fun!”

More rapid than eagles, the morning, it came.

And I whistled and shouted, and called them by name –

Up Fancy, up Dale, up Andrew, up Austin;

Up Kristi, up Nathan, up Caleb…Up…Ken!

To the bright breakfast table and then to the cars,

Now go in and learn – reach for the stars!

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Aw, you are so creative. Even in poetry. Now if I cannot get any sleep cause that Christmas song is in my head - I'll blame you ;)

The kids will be fine, the teachers won't judge. Just enjoy some peace and quiet in your house tomorrow.

Mainiacknitter said...

You even make going back to school fun! Hope you enjoy your quiet time.

Your Organizing Guru said...

Nice job! And great shot of the backpacks all lined up and ready to go!
~J

Amanda said...

Great poem!! Great shot of the back packs!

Brittany said...

That is SO CUTE! You're amazing!

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!